Saturday 7 July 2012

Brit Quilt Swap - post one.

I haven't participated in a swap for a while but couldn't resist joining round 3 of the Brit Quilt Swap on flickr.  In the last round the group swapped cushion covers but this time we are making a mini quilt for our partners.
I was pleased to receive my partner details as she has similar tastes to me. It's a secret swap so we don't know who is making for us.

The inspiration for my quilt is the Constellation quilt by Katy of I'm a Ginger Monkey. The pattern is published in the FatQuarterly E-Zine, I'm not following the pattern exactly but using the style as inspiration.

My first block is a 6 inch Constellation Star block using scraps from my stash fabrics in colours I think my partner would like. The background in Kona Ash.


The fabric in the background is Echino Story, it's a linen, cotton mix. I plan to make more stars in different star patterns up to a maximum of 9 inches. I may even try one smaller than 6 inches. 

I posted a picture on the flickr group and was thrilled at the lovely comments, however one member raised the question of whether the fabrics in the star go with the Echino. I've had a think and I'm going to go with using all the fabrics as although the blues aren't in the Echino I think they all blend in OK.
Any thoughts dear readers??

Bye for now, Maria.

4 comments:

Fran said...

I think it's gorgeous! I'd be very happy if I was your swap partner.

Sarah said...

That block is awsome! Love the colour and pattern mixes. Good stuff!

Catherine said...

It looks fantastic, love those little squares

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a gorgeous block :-) I love the fabrics... They play quite nicely together.