Monday 21 November 2011

November Rainbow Quilt

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, the colours of the rainbow. The idea behind this quilt top was to make a rainbow quilt starting with red blocks at the top and graduating the colours down to violet at the bottom with no defined point where each colour changes.

I'm pleased with how it turned out especially as the fabrics were not bought specifically for the design.
Fabrics used were a couple of charm packs by Kaffe Fassett and Amy Butler and fabrics from my scrap bag. The background is made from various shades of plain greens left over from other projects.

The blocks are Windmill blocks made from half square triangles. I'll definately be using half square  triangles again, they are so quick and easy to make.



The photo I took of the whole quilt laying on the floor looked terrible so you'll have to imagine how it looks from these two photos. Unfortunately there are no quilt top holder upers here today to help! 

I've linked this post to Fabric Tuesday on the Quilt Story Blog, their button is over on my side bar if you want to pay a visit.
Now to decide on the quilting. Any suggestions on how to quilt it will be gratefuly recieved.
Maria.


8 comments:

Fran said...

That is beautiful! It just shimmers! As I only ever quilt in the ditch, I am not one to give advice LOL.

Sarah said...

I LOVE what you have done here - the colours and pattern - LOVELY. My favourite from you so far!

Shannon said...

I love the rainbow quilt- pretty much every rainbow makes me happy, but I think the varied solids in the background really set it off nicely!

Rebecca said...

It looks great so far!

Quiltstory said...

Ooooo love those colors!! Can't wait to see the finish! Thanks for linking up! :)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love this quilt - such a great idea! No ideas about quilting but if inspiration strikes I'll let you know!!

Soile Kivinen said...

please hurry, I want to see this quit ready. It looks just like I want to do aswell

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful! Love the gradation in colour--it works well with the HSTs, I think. For quilting... I would say it depends on the effect you want. Perhaps lots of straight lines in a grid a la Rita of Red Pepper Quilts? I have no idea what FM to make on it. I would probably follow the 'ups-and-downs' and make curves, but it's not my quilt! :-) I'm sure what ever you decide it will be epic!

Hazle